Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday, 7 July 2013

The Mine - part 1

Taking advantage of the warm dry spell, I have been working outside on the mine. The first part is assembled and is a mix of the Ainsty set and scratch build area made from 4mm balsa sections, and 1.5mm for various bits of planking.












It is all mounted on an A3 section ( for ease of storage and transport) of foam board to try and keep the weight down a bit. Two tunnels exit at mid points of the sides to allow them to join up to the next sections , and to allow some variation in overall construction and layout for games. In my mind I see this as 8 A3 sections done on possibly two levels, so it's going to take a while to get to that.

All the pieces and extra scratch made sections were stuck to the baseboard , gaps filled with ready mixed tile grout, and then everything has has a wash with a 50/50 water/PVA mix to give added strength. Once dried its has a coat of a brown emulsion.

Next stage is sorting out a wiring plan for LED's and/or fibre optics etc i think, new problems and modelling challenges to solve which i am looking forward to. Ideally i want to be able to light each section as it is explored. Also i need to order some more bits n bobs from Ainsty - cheap this project won't be by he look of it. However it will be used not only for Old West, but also Pirates , and Pulp games and anything else it might fit in with.

I need to source some miners - or better still some duel purpose construction crew i can use for the railroad as well, time for a poke around on LAF I think.

I was going to properly plan all this out , but I am just going to roll with it and see where it goes and solve the problems as they come. Mad I know , but I am enjoying it!

16 comments:

  1. great looking terrain I guess this is going to have a entrance near the end of your town?
    You have a real knack for stunning terrain Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James. Years of playing on good terrain at the Wargames Holiday Centre spoilt me , and all the great work out there on various blogs are a great inspiration.

      Yep the plan is to have the entrance at side or end of the town.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work Dave, its already come on a long way, I will be interested to see the lighting stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting project, great work for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Planning? what's that?

    Looking good and I too am looking forward to the lighting stage

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this weeks project is researching lighting options!

      Delete
  5. Neat mine. Very cool project. This will be fun to watch develop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am already totally absorbed by this Dave. I love the idea of light a section as you explore it really ranking up the tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah , me too, now i just need to figure out how!!

      Delete
  7. A great idea Dave, I can just picture the Indiana Jones scene with those rail carts thundering along the track.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pat, oh yes I did have the music in my head while doing it...

      Delete
  8. Dave, that is a whole lot of awesome! I love the idea of 'progressive' lighting running throughout the mine. You could even use this set-up for some quasi Space Hulk style gaming (if sci-fi trips your trigger).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt , oh yes, it has got me thinking. Lots of possibilities I feel

      Delete
  9. Fantastic project, Dave. The options you have are endless!

    ReplyDelete

Work in hand

The RULES!

No more than 3 things on the PAINTING table at once. Nothing new added until something is finished.

PREPARATION work is done when I don't fancy detail painting. Cleaning up, converting, undercoating etc.

PLANNING is expressions of interest or things that have inspired me to be created with no definite timescale as yet.


On the PAINTING TABLE
10mm ACW, 28mm Stradiots

On the PREPATION table.
ACW Terrain, Egyptian and Sudanese troops for the Sudan

In the PLANNING
Death in the Dark continent stuff
Pulp Alley