Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Saturday 23 February 2019

Blast markers - mark 2..

I have completed some more flashing blast markers, this time a new improved mark 2 version with added optical fibre effects.


1- Take one cheap LED tealight (or even a lot!)- paint the casing black.
2-Snip off the top of the plastic flame cover to get direct access to the LED
3-Hot glue some fibre optic strands to the LED. - Hold these all together inside a straw or some cable sheathing while it dries and to get you through the next few stages


4-Hot glue some cushion filling around the tea light casing and shape it - if need be tack it together in places with hot glue
5- Spray a dark colour around the bottom of the marker , lighter at the top.
6-remove the straw/sheath -  - optionally then . apply some heat to the end of the fibre to melt it to make a lerger surface area at the end - I did this with a quick touch of a soldering iron


Night time view!
7 - Make suitable kaboom sounds when using!



16 comments:

  1. That, Sir, is pure genius! Watch these spring up all over the internet, just too cool not to copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Indeed . I feel the need to do yet more ...

      I did though find them on a blog a while ago , but can’t find which it was to give them credit ..

      Delete
  2. Oooooo like those. Might pinch that idea for the use of howitzers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely sensational Dave. You are a bloody clever man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo- I found something similar on another blog.. but I can’t fibd it again to give the credit

      Delete
  4. Superb Dave, I think there will be a lot of us pinching this idea.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consider that nicked. :) Great work Dave!

    ReplyDelete