Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Wednesday 7 February 2024

Ardennes ‘44 - winter trees

 I am moving on a bit with this project . I want to get a chunk of the terrain done so have made a start.

I have used conifers made by Busch in a range of sizes from 30mm to 150mm . These are fixed to various shaped bases bought from Warbases . The bases are drilled and the trees hot glued into place . Some larger bases only have trees around the edge to allow a smaller one inside to give denser forests or to give easy access to put troops in etc . The usual PVA and sand mix is added to base and it’s coloured a dark brown. Once all dried then add some layering spray thin PVA mix and shack over lots of Woodland Scenics snow.


A couple of my late war big cats added for effect - I need to do the proper winterising on the vehicles in due course - for now that was just a scatter of the snow powder .




  

Snow and glue- it’s a messy job! 



 

Enough to cover a good third of my 8x4 table at decent density. Roads , hedges , fences to do next.



2 comments:

  1. Nicely done Dave a really interesting bit of the war. Winter terrain can be a bit of a challenge ending up with two of everything ? Done well of course it is fantastic 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - yes storage wars is another issue . Going to keep this down to standard 8x4 set up .

      Delete