Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Saturday 23 July 2016

Sudan - back to it WIP

After a few hectic weeks it was good to get some hobby time today. I decided to crack on with de-sprueing the remaining Mahdist foot forces. These were in the form of 3 boxes of plastic Perry figures.
It's a job I hate as it seems to take almost as long as assembling and painting. I reckon it makes 16 boxes of these I have done since I started, so it's good to see an end to them.



They are now all clipped and sorted ready for a mass assemble session.



I also have a box of the plastic British infantry too. These will be used for some specials and conversion potential. I don't think the plastic bayonets will survive much past a first use though. 

In addition it has been an afternoon of placing orders with various suppliers - PayPal - pay after delivery is a bad thing! 

Simon Millers Big Red Bat Enterprisrs for large bases , magnets and a copy of TTS rules 
Perry Miniatures , for Royal Artillery guns and crew
Tiger Miniatures for limbers and horse teams 
E Models for paints and tool replenishment 
Bicorne Miniatures for the Heavy Camel Regiment
Old Glory for British Lancer regiment,,,

The overall lead mountain stock for the Sudan was looking more like a small hillock. Plenty of extras have been ordered in advnce of the Autumn preparation season ready for the winter paint a thon. 

I am also going to be doing a few bits to magnetise the bases to help with the storage and transport. I also have a few interesting bits on the go as well , but more on that another time. 

21 comments:

  1. Well that little lot should keep you out of mischief for a while! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael... Oh yes... I think it will!

      Delete
  2. You must see Mahdist infantry in your sleep mate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should keep you busy for a bit Dave :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to be busy for a time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you planning a 1:1 scale ratio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it sometimes... its so I can run multiple games simultaneously as part of a large campaign weekend

      Delete
  6. You really are a Sudan machine! If you get stuck for unit ideas, the Sudan saw the first ever contingent of Australian troops fighting on foreign soil:

    https://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/sudan/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul... They are indeed on the eventual plan....

      Delete
  7. Now you need to find some feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I do... That of course would also make a useful scenario

      Delete
  8. That is a really impressive pile of plastics, indeed!
    Honestly the degree of organisation of the bits and pieces strikes a chord within my occasionally over-organised mind... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefan.. I find you have to with these otherwise it adds even more time into the build process!

      Delete
  9. I think someone's gonna be a busy boy???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you laying in the hobby-larder Dave. As the Starks say: 'Winter is Coming'. :)

    I sympathize with the de-spruing. It hates it as well. Makes me love my metals...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you laying in the hobby-larder Dave. As the Starks say: 'Winter is Coming'. :)

    I sympathize with the de-spruing. It hates it as well. Makes me love my metals...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need HOW many Mahdists? Isn't that technically as many as the Mahdi actually had (in 1:1 scale)? ;) Good luck Dave - that should take you about a week to finish!

    ReplyDelete