Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Saturday 8 September 2018

Sudan - The Queen of the Nile

Having a deadline is always useful , and with the date of the upcoming large game approaching its helped to move along another major part of the project - a new steamer. I was never really happy with the previous resin Grand Manner armoured steamer so decided to replace it with the Sarissa 28mm one.  Ready to ply her trade on the Nile. I have made it not too specific as it will come in useful for some Pulp games planned for next yet.


Its a big piece of kit.. 16 inches long, 8 wide , and 6 high. It was a fairly easy kit to put together over a few sessions



I wasn't happy with support joins  showing on the roof section , so ended up covering these with paper to give a smooth finish. I also magnetised the central roof section and that lifts off to give access to the upper passenger section. As designed it only has a double rail around the deck which I felt was too flimsy long term so I added rounded end coffee stirrers as the barrier - does a little bit rough and ready.

I have added a free standing pintle mounted MG to it  and still have a few crew figures to finish off. Overall through pretty happy with it!

25 comments:

  1. Great work Dave! I‘m sure it‘ll be a worthy centerpiece and a real eyecatcher in your upcoming game. Make sure to take enough pictures to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work.

    As for the 'rough and ready', I've seem some pictures of very rough extra protection added to river steamers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job Dave, your big battle sare going to be very big !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt . Oh yes , no skirmishes here!

      Delete
  4. She's a beaut mate! I'd have give you 10/10 but you lost half a mark for not painting the inside of the improvised armour on the sides before gluing it on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Dave, you can't do Sudan without at least one steamer. I've done a couple of Sarissa kits and been very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you really can’t! Yes I have done a few of thier kits and I think they are getting better

      Delete
  6. What an impressive piece of work. A centerpiece for any game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb...and so atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work. This looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful looking steamer Dave and it took me straight back to the Gilder pictures in the old mags. Sensational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo.. it does have a look of it for sure

      Delete
  10. Very nice river steamer, useful in so many scenario's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how big the Grand Manor boat was but the Sarissa looks like you have plenty of room on board and being able to remove the roof is a big bonus. The water effects look very good, I am guessing you have laid a trail of baking soda?
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Yes I used baking soda to the do the wake . It’s photographed on my deep cut studios sea mat .

      Delete
  12. What a lovely looking kit. Great job on the various mods. I'm definitely going to pick one of these up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Curt. I shall look forward to seeing your very own version sometime

    ReplyDelete