Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Tuesday 27 November 2018

Terrain - Hedges for Normandy WW2

The big project for next year for me is get a good sized 15mm Normandy game up and running - as in 16 x 6 . I am doing the US forces who fought in bocage country so I am going to need a lot of hedges.  I made 12 feet a few month back for a game with the guys , but decided this has to be an occasional task to make sure we have enough - and you must know the mantra - you always need more hedges!

I set about making another 12 feet - its on bases 20mm wide and range of lengths such as 12 inch , 9 inch , 6 inch and 3 inch to give to flexibility.

I thought I would take the opportunity to show how I do it.

finished article
raw material - industrial sheet of rubberised horsehair - currently £35 on eBay for 6 foot x 3 and inch thick -I bought this one a few years ago for £25 from an upholstery company (its used to fill furniture)  - still got plenty left!
Small sizes are of course available from a range of suppliers ..just expect to pay a premium for it 

cut a strip to height or width you want

cut bases - these are made from 1.5mm ply

hot glue the hedge hair to the base

add weight to help secure until glue is set

trim and shape the regular strip with pair of scissors to produce a bit more irregular shapes - and then add some base material I use PVA to stick on sand - and let dry

spray a dark colour - in this dark dark green

colour the base material an earth colour

highlight the base earth 

liberally apply neat PVA across the hedge area - working it into the weave

prepare your scatter mix - this is by Javis available at various model and railway modelling suppliers - its a mix of shades of summer/spring green

I had sourced some 15mm MDF gates and fences from Blotz - these were added as part of the sticking on to the bases - I just forgot to  photograph them.

all covered in scatter - allow to dry before shaking off any final excess

spray with cheap extra firm hold hair spray - it will stop the scatter shedding - and you can always redo this at any time  too

I also found some trees on e-bay a while ago and they were based singly - I cut those off and  I have added them in to some sections by just  hot glueing them in place

the hedge stash - only another 36 feet to go!

Now whats that hiding behind the hedgerow? 


Altogether took a couple of hours - spread over 3 days - most processes don't take that long - you just need things to fully dry between some of them 












15 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial, I always have trouble when I use PVA with the base warping, but I've not used Ply before so I might give that a whirl.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had a particular problem with it. It doesn’t absorb moisture as much as other material . The 1.5mm is also thin enough to be able to just bend it back if it does . Or wet the back of it and leave under weight to sort . But I have not had to do anything to sort it out ..

      Delete
  2. Great work mate - simple but very effective!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look superb mate! Great tutorial too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent tutorial. I need to make some Boccage so this is good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, excellent tutorial I might need some more hedges 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always need more hedges.. it’s the rules

      Delete
  6. They really look the biz Dave. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. neat trick with the hairspray, Im going to try that on my trees (they some shedding...) Cheers Rupe

    ReplyDelete