Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Tuesday 1 September 2020

Napoleonics - A bit of gaming and the new project.

 It’s been a long time since old friend Scotty and I have played a Napoleonic game , so it’s been good to get one under the belt. Scotty has used his lockdown time to complete a whole load of basing for his 15mm acquisitions over the last few years. He has also been making terrain bits. We played In The Grand Manner as it’s a system we have played a lot over our years attending the Wargames Holiday Centre and we pretty much know it backwards  . I know they are not everyone’s cup of tea , however if  you like chucking a bucket of dice they can work well. 

We used French and Austrians this time. We also have Russians & British as well already painted that need a flesh out .

This will also mean a return to Napoleonics for me in 15mm - initially looking at Confederation of the Rhine or Duchy of Warsaw for my first top up. So I need to do some figure research- I suspect Blue Moon for now .

Anyway on with some pictures -in no particular order as I only remembered to take them occasionally.












All in all a great day was had . Scotty was pleased to see the return of my fabled cavalry dice , with his infantry being sorely harassed by Uhlans , batteries ridden down , and French Guard Cavalry put to the sword by my Kurrassiers.  

It’s given us a project to work on with fleshing the armies out over the winter and getting them onto a bigger table - well it’s not called Grand Manner for nothing you know! 

Roll on the big battalions.









15 comments:

  1. Very cool Dave nothing like a large Napoleonic army to stir the blood, although Grand Manner rules might not be for everyone they do give a good games. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed there isnt. I always think they give a nice representation of the classic paper,scissors,stone that is Napoleonics

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. ThankscRay , Scotty has done a great job on them

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! Very pretty troops and table.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers , I suspect it will get even better

      Delete
  4. Very nice and a great project to keep you busy 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - indeed looking forward to doing some troops myself

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking table, great looking figures and terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking stuff.
    Having played it a few times, mainly at the WHC ITGM is really not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always wonderful to see your Napoleonics on the tabletop. Sounds like a grand day out.

    ReplyDelete