Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 10 November 2013

We Will Remember Them

It is Remembrance Sunday in the UK. I have never met a gamer who who did not appreciate the sacrifices made. Given the recent conflicts we as a country have been involved in, remembrance does seem to be more relevant than ever. Watching the local battalion parade through town and viewing new names engraved on the town war memorial is hard. That is only a fraction of what the generations who went before us lived through.




They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

"Laurence Binyon - "For the Fallen"




In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead.
Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

"John McCrae 1918"



I will always treasure the memories of Remembrance Sundays I spent with my late dad Jim. They were special times. I do miss him.



Dad and I on our visit to the First World War battlefields, this was taken at Vimy Ridge memorial park.






No comments:

Post a Comment