Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Thursday, 26 December 2013

Christmas Unwrapped

A day of chilling and relaxing yesterday. I spend a few moments reflecting on my colleagues at work keeping the county working , and the people impacted by the severe weather we have had.

After being treated to a wonderful dinner it was time to explore what seemed to be a multitude of gifts.

First up a superb effort by Secret Santa. The first elements of the mounted U.S. Cavalry for the Serenity collection.


Well done Santa.

Mrs D may rue the day these crossed the threshold... 54mm cowboys. A few more of these and I may have a viable game !


Some additional supporting material for future distractions.





What with Curt, Sidney and Byron showing off this , it is time to jump in. I have a project in mind to follow the battles of my own local battalion over the coming 4 years of anniversaries. (They entered France in 1915)


There is a great on line history of it , and I have visited the Western Front many times visiting the places involved.


An off the wall choice here , but it's a stage on from Old West and allows some elements of traditional RPG as well . We will see where this goes.

Next some reading material.





Some televisual entertainment


I enjoyed Hell on Wheels series 1 , looking forward to seeing what happens to the Swede.

It's not all Wargaming though...

A bit of music , I shall have to wind the Stones upto 11


And some more to add to my collection of Landscape photography books. I can lose myself in these for hours.


A thoroughly wonderful selection of well chosen gifts. Thanks to all my friends and family.

Right I am on cooking duties today.. Off to get the joint in the oven!

P.S. I am going to try switching off Google+ comments as getting fed up with it!






2 comments:

  1. Great pressies Dave :)

    54mm cowboys? Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, worth a few points I think!

    ReplyDelete

Work in hand

The RULES!

No more than 3 things on the PAINTING table at once. Nothing new added until something is finished.

PREPARATION work is done when I don't fancy detail painting. Cleaning up, converting, undercoating etc.

PLANNING is expressions of interest or things that have inspired me to be created with no definite timescale as yet.


On the PAINTING TABLE
10mm ACW, 28mm Stradiots

On the PREPATION table.
ACW Terrain, Egyptian and Sudanese troops for the Sudan

In the PLANNING
Death in the Dark continent stuff