Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 24 April 2016

Sudan - Terrain Work in Progress - and some thank you's

Work continued this week on some more terrain bits - still only part way through on these. First up a couple of large buildings. These are resin from a company in Germany. They were a bit of a pig to put together as they were fairly badly flashed and warped , but I think they will end up fine. I have just finished adding some texture to it with filler/tile grout ready for first paint up. The figures are 28mm so you get a real sense of the size of these

 The Bazaar and a Government Building


This just leaves a mosque or minaret to add for the larger town/city and that will be it for building i think.

I had some cork bark sections in the spares box , so I have started making up some rock outcrop type pieces. Nothing much to these really , glue them on and weight them down - apply some sand and then a good drybrush will sort these.



So now a few thank yous.

That kind gent (and master of the large pike block) Simon Miller from Big Red Bat very kindly sent me over the Young Winston figure he got at Salute - most appreciated Simon.


Blog follower (and former work colleague) Andrew also sent me over his goodie bag from Salute too. So i may not have got there - i still did pretty well. - Thanks Andrew


I am still waiting a reasonable dry weekend to crack on with the 12 x 6 mat for my game in June.. I have it all rolled ready for working on. It a plastic backed dust sheet available from Screwfix in the UK (size 24 feet x 6 - for £12) - I got it cut in two last summer!


Its a good base colour to work with - just needs a bit of extra texture and colours adding. Will the great British Weather play ball some time soon i ask myself.




24 comments:

  1. Great posting Dave, and momentarily I thought I'd missed an opportunity to shake you by the hand at the blogger's meet-up. What great treats to be sent - especially young Winston. Looking forward to seeing those resin buildings finished off. Good to see you going from strength to strength post the AHPC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon... Coming along nicely as you say

      Delete
  2. Ooh! That Young Winston is lovely. Lucky chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is... He is on the painting table already. It was kind of Simon to think of me for it.. As I think it is a limited edition piece

      Delete
  3. Your buildings are coming along nicely Dave. The warping may be not a bad thing at all, those mud brick buildings shouldn't be too regular in appearance. Looking forward to seeing the full table.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Yes indeed , I reasoned on the less regular build myself.. It was just getting the various bent bits to line up and then filling the gaps!

      The "big game" 28x 15 should be along in the autumn...

      Delete
  4. Nice work and nice goodies Dave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are you actually doing with the sheet then Dave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I want to break the colour up a bit with a few others lightly rollered on and add in a bit more texture in places . And cover the joint line with with of coloured caulk/sand mixture . I reckon it will take half a day to do laid on the patio or garden , and then a few hours to dry before it can be rolled up again..

      Delete
  6. Those buildings already look good and I can't wait to see them painted up.
    A great find with the plastic backed dust sheet Dave an excellent size and value as I think most of us will be able to get two mats from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pat. Just checked again on Screwfix it was 12x12 and it's currently on Salem for £10. Screwfix No Nonsense plastic backed dustsheet

      Delete
  7. I'm quite taken by those buildings, warps and all, I wonder if they would work for the Indian Mutiny? Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think they would work

      http://www.najewitz-modellbau.de/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/46

      Delete
  8. Despite the warping the buildings are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing them finish up mate. Simon is a champ sending you that young Winston too, a real must-have for the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy. Me too , they have been in the building pile a mite too long. Yes I was very pleased with getting Young Winston , bumped into the paint desk already

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to seeing this in june. great work Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think those buildings look tremendous Dave and Young Winston looks superb! You've dogs very well mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You've DONE very well mate" - I am sure it if you painted dogs they would be great too - damned selective text!!

      Delete
  11. Those are very nice buildings, perfect for a quiet colonial town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan... Might not be quiet for long though

      Delete
  12. Really good work on those buildings. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete