Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 22 April 2019

Normandy 44 - Utah Beach progress - part 2

just a quick update on progress over the last few days. its been ideal weather to get some messy jobs done outside , so I have been working on terrain bits and basing for the recently painted stuff.

I have the table set up to just drop stuff on while I get a feel for how I want it look.

 Items completed :-

6 foot of beach obstacles , the ramp part being made from cocktail sticks ..I have some more tetrahedrons to drop on - they are based on large bases from Simon Millers Big Red bat bases

vac form shells holes painted up .

3 new LCVPs completed

4 more assault platoons completed

I have also based up a para company for the inland game - more on that another time

the start of the barbed wire sections

the engineers platoons are cleaned and undercoated , ready to paint , as are more Paras




Things still to do  - I am waiting some material stuff for these :-
tetrahedrons / hedgehogs 
6 - 8 belgian gate obstacles - scratch building those. 
6 feet of sea wall section to complete 
complete gun pit, entrenchments and a couple of barrack block pieces
paint engineers
finish another 3 assault platoons
finish 3 LCMs


I have recently sourced a decent hot wire cutter , and it is being used to create bits from extruded polystyrene (XPS) - making quick and easy work too

octagonal gun pit entrenchment cut from 10mm XPS in a couple of minutes. 
moving onto the inland part of the game - things to :-

flooded area terrain pieces
causeway section
entrenchment and barbed wire for resistance nest WN7 
more heavy duty flight stands 




14 comments:

  1. Tremendous progress Dave. It looks awesome, and that cutter looks like it'll be put to excellent use too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great mate. I've quite jealous of your new foam cutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers... I am wondering why I have not had one before!

      Delete
  3. Totally stunned! Amazing job Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking amazing Dave! Don‘t know if you aware but GeBoom does quite some useful gimmicks for the Proxxon:
    https://www.shiftinglands.com/
    I have a fair few of these myself and can‘t recommend them enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good shout there ... couple things will be falling in the shopping basket

      Delete
  5. Looking very, very good Dave. You are a very busy young man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good Dave....but wouldn’t expect anything else 😀

    ReplyDelete