Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Thursday, 1 October 2026

Holiday part 2 - Housesteads to Cawfields

 A bit more of this weeks break . Today we did a visit to Housesteads fort and a walk west to Cawfields and mile castle 42 . 

We arrived for opening time at Housesteads and had it to ourselves pretty much while we explored . It follows the layout of standard Roman fort. I felt I could almost be there in terms of the historical imagining .

Could not help but touch history .

It’s no wonder it’s a world heritage site . 



The wall east ending eastward from the end of the North face of the fort

The grain stores 




The latrines 



We moved further west along the wall to Cawfields and mile castle 42 . The was along the escarpment of Great Whinn Sill. 








A great explore and walk has had . Followed by a lunch at the Milecastle Inn . Great pie was had .

I may have to pick up some Romans after this…














No comments:

Post a Comment