Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 7 February 2016

York - Vapnartak 2016

This weekend saw a foray on the short journey into York for a visit to the first major show of the season. I set out with a limited intention for "stash" ... but more of that later. The show seemed bustling to me with a good range of traders , and I bumped into a few old friends which was good.

It might just be me be i did not think there were as many good looking games - but there was one that really took my eye , Bukhara 1920, by the Kreigspielers, with lots of lovely models - and any game that has steam engines for pulling artillery gets a plus in my book.




Of course I had only intended limited purchasing targets...you know what happens you find all sorts of stuff... Almost all for the Sudan terrain works..so here it is..

 An "oasis" piece from "Last Valley"

A selection of various shaped hills from S&A Scenics, which I want to do a bit of dulling down to.

 
some "vac-form" hills with escarpments from Kallistra - they need work to finish - but are nicely different.

A top up of mounted mahdists camel and baggara cavalry from Dave Thomas

A limited edition "dog" and some goats from Jon at Ainsty

And finally couple of the things i went for! some paint , and bases from Warbases - of course yours truly forgot to order the sizes i want in advance and Martin did not have them - so they will arrive in the post. Plus an interesting clear acrylic  paint brush holder, because i like it!

All in all a very successful and enjoyable day out, topped off with stopping for Sunday lunch on the way home at a suitable hostelry. Last night Steve the gaming bud and I went through the collections (Old West, Gangster, Sudan and his Napoleonics) working out what needed doing to finish off bits. I think this was the first time he had seen all the Sudan stuff out together.

The Sudan collection - minus the Imperial Mounted which were still in the display cabinets! - game time coming up..

29 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day, mine was not that busy so would have been better to be at the show

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bugger Ian,, missed catching up..

      Delete
  2. Looks great, love this wondeful oasis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, indeed it was £10 well spent in my book

      Delete
    2. I think TLV stuff is good vallue and sturdy stuff.

      Delete
  3. Nice lootz Dave and it's fantastic to see how big the Sudan collection is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny I really did not expect to pick much up.. It turned into a great day. Even I have not had the Sudan stuff out in the last 12 months... As Steve and I said yesterday... "We gotta play with this stuff !" .. Plans are fully afoot

      Delete
  4. Good to see yo had a good time of it. obviously well deserved.
    Thought about going, but I'm rtying to rehabilitate myself as the police sergeant said to Arlo Guthrie. Still, on the upside I got some more jobs done a round the house and spent 34 quid on AB stuff. O.K., maybe the second bit didn't do much for my rehab ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rehabilitation hasn't done much for my typing either . . . .

      Delete
    2. I think you need more re-hab... Do that by topping up the lead pile.. It's the very best way

      Delete
  5. Cool selection. That is a comedy number of fuzzies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers.. I always had the number 1000 in my head.. It won't go away ..until it's done!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a good day out. I like the look of the Kallistra hills, I may pay their site a visit. They could save me a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to fill them with some polystyrene beads to make them more solid, but I do think they have some real potential.

      Delete
  7. Now didn't you do well and I love the look of that game, but the big thrill is the final shot - oh my goodness, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed. And oh yes ... Huzzah!

      Delete
    2. Ohandof course , it "needs" more camels..

      Delete
  8. Nice looking oasis! My word that collection looks even bigger in the drawers. How many miniatures now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. I have not counted them all yet...but it will be about 1500 already.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great day out. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not usually a fan of pre-bult terrain pieces, but that oasis is pretty good. And more camels and goats as well!

    Sounds like a good day; I do wish I was a bit closer to some of these events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed , me too, but with a bit of work they will come up ok.. And I was pleased with the oasis

      Delete
  11. No news of The Sudan appearing in Basingstoke any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One I have worked out some more terrain options it will

      Delete
  12. Your Sudan collection is really big! Great terrain elements, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juan , I reckon it's about 80% done now , hence moving onto terrain

      Delete
  13. Some useful bits of terrain there Dave and your Sudan collection looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete