Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 20 November 2017

ACW - Union infantry and the table

A decent bit of progress made last week . I completed the union infantry brigade I had on the paint desk. It will see its first battle this coming weekend as guys from the Old Guard club give the game a run out at the Battleground Show.

I do like the mass effect that is possible  10mm- the brigade marches to battle 


I made some rocky outcrop terrain pieces from cork sections this week too, along with finishing the last of the trees to add to the table - takes it up to 200 of them altogether.


I just need to get my 3 limber teams done this week
Another plus to the 10mm is they make this kind of thing economically viable!

I have some Confederate troops on order from Pendraken to pick up this week to start with the opposition. I will be mostly finding someone to paint them I think as the old eyes are not holding up so good with them. So much so I have had to resort to using some magnification.

A 2x magnification Optivisor
I have previously tried a magnifying lamp but I could not get away with that. The Optivisor is comfortable to wear , not too heavy and it is making a real difference. For now I only need it for 10mm , reading glasses are fine for any larger figures or terrain.

a view through the visor ..

This week has also seen work on Curt's Stradiots - with all the fiddly bits now completed , namely the shields, hats and faces .. just the main clothing parts and highlights left to do,

The last of the paint table lurkers!

The clock is ticking down to the launch of the winter challenge... stand by your camels!









24 comments:

  1. Dave thats a cracking ACW set up, I look forward to comparing notes re the games. I love the rocky outcrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers , yes be interested hear how Picketts Charge plays out

      Delete
  2. A very fine looking table Dave!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cracking looking table, Dave. Really nicely presented and put together.

    I'll see you on Saturday. Unless you're there on Friday, setting up the game?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stinking wonderful looking table Dave!! I might have to get me a set of those dorky looks specs.
    Cheers,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stonking not stinking was intended!

      Delete
    2. Smell o vision! Well worth investing in the dorky specs

      Delete
  5. nice work, see you at the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good. I have table envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing the table next weekend. My eyes are going the other way I just have to hold everything closer to my nose ! I’ll watch from a distance at the painting challenge 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid progress Sir. Liking the look of the optivisor, I have had to resort to reading glasses myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to hold out from using the Dork-o-Visor, but will probably have to succumb sooner or later. Lovely Stradiots btw, mate! That's a lucky b@st@rd who's getting those. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have resisted so fa4 , but for the 10mm I really need it . Yep they are looking good so far , finished 3 completely tonight

      Delete
  10. A mighty fine table and some lovely miniatures too! I actually was quite surprised to learn they were 10mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Nick - they have a surprising amount of detail on them - which is a devil to paint! glad you like em

      Delete
  11. Wnderful game table. The Stradiots look really dangerous!

    ReplyDelete