Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday, 28 September 2026

Holiday - “What did the Romans do ….”

 We have escaped for an end of summer break. Not too far from home this time , just getting out if the usual 4 walls before the the winter starts . We found a place just up near Hadrians Wall and Hexham . Today has seen a visit to the Roman Army museum at Magna , Vindolanda and a walk along part of the wall  it’s been many years since I visited and it was good to see the changes.




The wall over Steel Rigg. The climb got the blood pumping .







The Army Museum was well done . It would have been great to see a full legion in 28mm laid out but there you go .





 


The mannequins were very lifelike .

 



Hadrian




 

Next up Vindolanda - much more excavated since the last time I visited 



Still lots of future work to do 

 

A great day out was had.


This all brought back memories of the very first box of Airfix I bought from a Woolworths in early 70’s as a very young lad.

 

Closely followed by nagging my dad to get the fort .
 
Fond memories 











 

6 comments:

  1. Nice trip! Yeah we all had those Airfix Romans, although the Ancient Britons set was far better in my honest opinion. Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed the accuracy of the sculpts was very questionable!. The ABs were a far better set I agree

      Delete
  2. Splendid stuff Dave nothing like a good bit of Roman history 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I visited the Wall!! I may suggest a nice weekend away to Mrs C

    ReplyDelete