Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 4 July 2011

Some British

This last week I have been working on horses and completed 32 of them various browns and a few whites. The warm weather has helped to speed the oil drying time.I was even able to varnish them as well. I usually have a few command figures on the paint board at any time as they can be easily dipped in and out of and one of these has been completed as well. A British command stand with a mounted infantry officer and a mounted highland Black Watch officer.(who has a suitably stern look on his face!)



The riders are both "Front Rank"  as is the far officers horse. The highlanders horse is an Elite miniatures. I was in Hereford recently on my travels and I came across a really great model & railway shop The Hereford Model Centre (they are online too). The kind of place you rarely find these days a real Alladins cave and.with friendly knowledgable staff.  I picked up a range of supplies including the "grass" used on this base . Made by  Noch and marketed by Gaugemaster - Code 192 Rough Grass Beige. It comes in a matting form about 9 inches by 7" and is about 1/3 inch thick (it was not the cheapest item  - it was about £7 for the pack but it will last a good while) . It can be cut or just torn to shape. I think it gives a really good look for dried out grass/scrubland. It was attached to the plywood base using white PVA prior to adding the sand and stones mix. I was very happy with the finish.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent figures Dave,
    As you would guess I particularly like the Scotsman!

    I used to use the matted grass myself for basing but can't seem to get a hold of it now.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting and the basing looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work; I really like the mounted Highlander. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, I'll third him, the Scotsman looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys - maybe that means I need to do a highland battallion to keep him company then!

    ReplyDelete