Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Friday 7 November 2014

The Fifth Annual Painting Challenge

Well with editorial duties on Wargames Bloggers Quarterly handed over to "PK" , it was opportune for Curt to release the Fifth incarnation of his painting challenge with a theme of  Anti-Heroes, Rogues and Ruffians. he must have forgot to keep taking the tablets...mad fool!!

V image by GChiny @Deviantart

It's not been a greatly productive summer and autumn season in terms of miniatures , the lead pile has been steadily growing - so its time to clear that out. Having scored 3000 points last year, I am going for 2250 for now , as the early start will throw things a little for me as December will still be busy

 There are some interesting bonus rounds which I enjoyed last year, and i can think of 4 of them I can do without going too off track .

  • December 14: Cold - hmm... need to think
  • December 28: Mount(s) & Rider(s) - yes , but want to do something "different"
  • January 11: Victorian - sorted
  • January 25: Myth ... hmm.. need to think
  • February 8: Hot - sorted
  • February 22: Comedic - sorted
  • March 8: Anti-Hero  - sorted
Main themes for me this year will be Colonials for the Sudan, Gangsters, the odd cowboy,  and various bits of interest from the lead pile. If I need a ~"point bombe" I still have unpainted fuzzy wuzzies from last year..

With a chunk of preparation to do I have invested in a spray booth which I have been wanting for a while  , which has an electric fan and an extraction hose that will hang out of the window of the man cave.


The screens fold down , and it comes with a turntable ,spare packs of filters , and a 2m power chord which winds into the body when packing away.




 The project desk is starting to groan under the cleaned up lead - and I still have a box to open.. the Warbases order has arrived.. time to start full on prep work

6 comments:

  1. You are going to be very busy! Good luck with the Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word, the project desk is rather full.
    2250 is still a tall order, I wish you a speedy paintbrush Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pat.. Yup it's gonna get very busy.

      Delete
  3. Handy spray booth. Just in time for the challenge as well.
    cheers and good luck with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you're in again, Dave.
    You're list for the bonus rounds sounds promising. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it come to live.

    ReplyDelete