Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday, 31 August 2026

Gaming - ACW - Antietam Cornfield - using new ACW rules

 Yesterday saw a run out for the ACW collection . Des Darkin has released his regimental rules set ,known simply as ACW (link https://www.shedowargames.co.uk/  ) and I have picked it up . John and I decided to play the introduction scenario . 


 

 

Starting position Rebs behind fences and hasty works 

Red and Green markers represent Division and Brigade command staff officer - which are then tasked for a range of command option . However once used they don’t quickly come back - a key part of the game is managing this resource to keep your options open.

 


My Union forces ready to advance toward the cornfield - they will pick up fatigue crossing the fence and also doubling forward . I liked the mechanism that let you move at speed but accumulate fatigue - which you can attempt to rally off with staff officer tasking - hence make sure you save some .
 
My brigade in the East Woods deploys in open order - meaning it can move on the wood at full speed without fatigue penalties - I want to advance it to get on the flank of the Reb defences.
 
The dice holder record fatigues(red) and permanent casualties (black). Units move from fresh to worn to wavering to skedaddled depending on total accumulation, with various penalties to firing melee , and losing staff offices




My units absorb some serious fire but get into melee



One of mine pushes a reb defender away from the fence line 

 
However the Rebs push the other two back . I have to spend time rallying to get them to go again .

 We had played out 10 turns looking up a few things and working through it. There is similarity to other basic ACW concepts so we were picking them up quickly . I won the initiative 9 out of 10 roll and this let me reset my staff officers quicker than John so meant I was able to keep rallying etc . I liked the Command Clock mechanism which means each side is operating independently on their Staff Officer resource . Other than that we didn’t have any extremes of dice throwing which was good for this test 


Having had another read through I don’t think we got anything wrong . A few extra clarifications have been asked of Des and we had interpreted things correctly . They were - Staff Officer resource-rolls for initiative where we had various draws and rerolls . The other was around Open order troops opting to use Exploding 6’s at close range , I.e they hit on 5,6 .. but any 6 is then re-rolled and can hit again - yes this is fine it applies to all at close range . 


We will play again 

I fancy day 1 of Gettysburg with these .. 



No comments:

Post a Comment