Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Friday 3 January 2014

New Year - New Scale - 54mm Wyatt Earp

Something new for you this year. I was given some larger scale cowboy figures for Xmas. It's been a long time since I did anything in this size, at least 20 years. I had also only previously used oil paints and I did wonder how i was going to tackle these. But new challenges are always enjoyable. I switched to using acrylics and the increase in speed to paint amazed me. Using some acrylic flow enhancer really helped the finished , slowing drying time and allowing for some better blending of colours.






The figure is by Andrea Miniatures. A wonderfully sculpt and really well cast. A real joy to work on.
So there will be a few more of these along this year while work my way through a small collection to run a larger scale game.


I thoroughly recommend the the Andrea Color paints set - really good to work with.


Oh and a lot easier on the eyes!!

23 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed Dave! Love the blending you managed, great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top quality painting Dave that really shows.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a lovely figure Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta - I think its is one of my favorite ever.

      Delete
  4. Dang, that's nice! But I don't like to think about how much space and time you'd need to put on a full game in this scale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. Indeed , I am thinking pretty small overall , do on a 6x4 at the most with a few figures.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Vincent , praise indeed. from the maestro!

      Delete
  6. Excellent, just love everything about him and at the moment my favourite piece in the Challenge so far

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, praise indeed. I think the standard of the various submissions this year is pretty high.

      Delete
  7. Great painting work, Dave. It can be a fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Juan, I think it has some interesting possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top work Dave, an excellent looking figure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work, these colors areally awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, I think has worked rather well.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic painted figure! Happy New Year Dave!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautifully painted figure Dave

    ReplyDelete