Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 6 January 2014

54mm - Cowboy with Winchester

Another of the Xmas presents completed. This one by Pegaso Models. A really nicely posed figure, with the challenge of painting a poncho. At least in this scale you can see it to paint. Although i have had to resort to some additional eyesight help as you do need to paint the eyes in this scale. I acquired a headset magnifier to help with this and I am just getting used to using it. I fear however its a slippery slope.




I came up with the idea for the poncho pattern from some old "Mexican" themed wallpaper we had a few years ago

I am really enjoying painting in this scale , and using acrylics has really changed my impression of doing more of these not only cowboy related.

Also just a bit of black and white experimentation - reminds me of old cowboys films.


I will also give a big shout out to Historex Agents of Dover who supplied these, and the various Andrea paint sets. They are a great supplier to deal with.

Headset - and yes i does make you feel stoopid!! But hell it works

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Headband-Headset-Jeweler-Magnifier-Magnifying/dp/B009O5T3FU


Lastly I asked the team of Analogue Hobbies to help with a name for this guy - so we now have "Charlie Wainwright"

Now let me see - i think someone else wears a poncho....

21 comments:

  1. Really excellent painting, Dave. I love the poncho!

    Don't feel bad about using a magnifying glass. I use a table top Daylight magnifying glass for the super fine details on a 28mm (when I can be bothered with doing those kind of details). It doesn't get used often, but I feel it saves eye-strain when I use it and therefore its probably better in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Sidney.. i think i just have to accept that i can only paint it if i can see it!

      Delete
  2. Great looking mini! And I think the poncho turned out quite nicely too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else who wears a poncho? Hmmm, I do believe that Mr Awdry has included a pic of such a character as part of his villainy submission ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Dave, the poncho is amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, it was a challenge , but worth it.

      Delete
  5. You know, looking at this figure I am now wondering if his rifle is the same physical size as one for a 28mm miniature :-) ? It looks completely in scale here, whereas many smaller models have over-sized weapons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I agree. There are some 28mm I have where they weapons re wildy over scale. But I guess it's down to a style thing . People expect to see the weapons . The revolvers on the Wyatt figure re really not very much bigger thn some I have seen on the black scorpion figures!

      Delete
  6. I can these becoming a bit of a feature for the year - a duelling demo game perhaps? Great job Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are not wrong - I have a list of figures to acquire of the next few months! And yes thats just it - a little duel game i feel - very "spaghetti western" themed

      Delete
  7. Lovely painting Dave, the poncho in particular

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I guess it is a case of needing the assistance. I already two lots of glasses! But this is a whole new ball game, but hey it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic painting work! You are affecting me with your new project!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan... wait until you see the next one..

      Delete
  10. That is very nicely done there Dave and I am loving the headset

    ReplyDelete