Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 4 December 2023

AWI - new little project time

 This one has been on the back burner for a while. After playing the  Little Wars TV rules for ACW (Alter of Freedom) and enjoying them I decided to pick up the AWI set “Live free or die” . I also picked up an army pack from Pendraken which I have finally started some work on. Of course me being me I want to do some larger units - the 10mm allows for  that nicely . Altogether I think it’s only about 600 figures or so a side - and I have roped in a few if the club guys who jumped in also buying some ready painted at the latest show bring and buy.

I have worked out a simple paint method over a white base with some speed paints and thin washes . This cut down the time to do the first British battalion . This was a 7 base unit - the 43rd Foot - chosen just as it had white facings which cut down paining time.


Bases are 40x20 with 10 figures per base. Most orbats have 4-5 bases per unit but there are some that are 7-8 . It may be a case of making up a few extra command bases for flexibility and to save overpainting infantry , 


I have the remainder of the army pack ready to complete which will be another 4-5 base unit plus some cav and guns . In the meantime I have ordered up another few battalions of Brits - in particular enough for a large highland unit. 

Aim is to build for Bunker Hill sometime next year. 

While sorting out the stash I also came across the ACW reinforcements so these have been cleaned and prepared - enough artillery to boost my existing forces to around 24 guns per side - will limbers etc . Also found a lot more cavalry than expected so I will double my existing forces there . 

The artillery stash is ready to go!.





3 comments:

  1. That's a rather fine looking unit Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray - I was pleased with the end result

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Dave the Brits look great, obviously a period I really enjoy. 10mm an interesting choice and big units wow. Will look impressive. Ouch though Bunker Hill is a big one looking forward to seeing you get stuck in.

    ReplyDelete